1 pinch of saffron
1 tablespoon of Alexandra’s tajine paste
2.5 kg mixed veg , such as aubergines, courgettes, carrots, cherry tomatoes, red onion, butternut squash,
1 x 400 g tin of chickpeas
100 g dried apricots
1 preserved lemon
300 g couscous
½ a bunch of mixed fresh herbs, such as dill, mint, flat-leaf parsley (15g)
20 g flaked almonds
1. Put the saffron into a jug, cover with 500ml of boiling water and leave to infuse.
2. Meanwhile, add a little oil & Alexandra’s Tajine Paste to fry for a few minutes, stirring regularly, then pour over the saffron water. Trim and prep the veg, as necessary, then chop into large chunks, adding them to the pan as you go.
3. Tip in the chickpeas (juices and all), roughly chop and add the apricots and preserved lemon, discarding any pips, then season with sea salt and black pepper.
Bring to the boil, cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for Image & recipe by Jamie Oliver
45 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
4. When the veg are almost tender, just cover the couscous with boiling water, season with salt and pepper and pop a plate on top. Leave for 10 minutes, then fluff and fork up.
5. Pick the herb leaves and toast the almonds. Serve the tagine and couscous sprinkled with the almonds and herbs. Delicious served with harissa rippled yoghurt.
Recipe adapted from https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetable-recipes/wonderful-veg-tagine/